Saturday, May 14, 2011

the saga continues...

Thursday - left the Greenmount Lodge and headed back up to Gortin parish to meet Fr. Forbes and look at the Church registers.  It was certainly worth the trip.  Had a spot of tea with Fr. Forbes and housekeeper Kathleen.  Fr. Forbes gave me free rein to the registers for baptism 1865> and the marriage register.  I spent 4 1/2 hours copying information; in the beginning I also wrote down names familiar to me from other genies with mutual interests but after some time, I concentrated on the McDermotts/McKeowns.  I could have spent weeks there. Found the marriage record for James McDermott and Sarah McKeown, baptismal records for my grandfather and some of his siblings.  Will transcribe and share the info when I get home.  It was certainly a satisfying day.  The hospitality of Kathleen and Fr. Forbes was over the top - tea and wee sandwiches and sweets!

Then I drove down to Drogheda and spent the night at Orley House, a delightful b&b.  On Friday morning I headed out for Newgrange.  Newgrange and Knowth, located in the picturesque Boyne Valley are ancient burial sites, dating back to 3,000 BC.  Amazing to think of the engineering talents these people possessed. 

Left Newgrange, heading west.  Stopped in the town of Kells  and saw the round tower and tall
celtic crosses.     Continued west and stopped for the night in Athlone.  After getting a bit lost - "the b in the box" seems to be schizophrenic, and I kept missing turns, too.  Drove on the M6 for a time - in the rain.  The speed limit is 120km which I think converts to 74 mph - it is a dual lane, divided highway - like the GSP.  Not a fun drive in the rain, but I did find myself actually passing a truck or two - with my heart in my mouth!  The speed limits on a road like Colonial Drive or Mantoloking Road with no shoulders and more narrow lanes, is 100 km (60 mph).  There are signs "severe" bends, etc. but no speed limit reductions.  Sometimes I found myself behind some farm equipment which was fine with me, but the drivers behind me were not so patient.   Speaking of rain - I passed through a hail storm.  You can drive along in the sun and then through rain and back into the sunshine.  It also seems to be very windy most of the time. 

Just left the Burren Lodge b&b and am currently at a McDonald's.  Although the b&b advertised internet, wasn't able to connect.  Not sure where I'll wind up today, I'm heading west. Decided to head to Cashel.  On the way, stopped at Clonmacnoise - the remains of the ancient ecclesiastical site.  More ruins.  Photo of the Castle just prior to the entrance and then a photo at Clonmacnoise. 


Here is the famous River Shannon at Clonmacnoise

No comments:

Post a Comment