Sunday, May 8, 2011

The search begins....

After a delightful breakfast at my hotel, I went across the street and very near the statue of Oscar Wilde in St. Stephens Green, caught the Hop On Hop Off bus and disembarked at St. Patrick's Cathederal.  I walked to The National Archives.

Because only pencil and paper are permitted in the Reading Room, The National Archives provides lockers, free of charge.  Genealogists are available for consultation, which I did, but wasn't able to spend as much time as I would have liked.  There were at least six to eight people lined up behind me and two genealogists to assist.  I noted something curious in the reading room - large bedroom pillows!  I learned they are to cradle the very delicate record books.  Whodathunk!

Anyway, I made good use of the short time alloted.  I had brought information about the marriage of my maternal great-grandparents in County Cavan.  I had been searching for the specific parish location without success.  In just a few minutes, the genealogist was able to pinpoint the Church of St. Mary in the parish of Ballymachugh.  Because I had nothing else to research at the Archives - I had no clue where to begin, I left clutching that piece of information.

While I had planned to visit the GRO (Government Registry Office), I never got there.

On Friday, went to the National Library.  Spent HOURS looking at a roll of microfilm for the church parish where my maternal great-grandparents were married, looking for other possible relatives.  While the staff were very helpful and the equipment was adequate, I left bleary-eyed with little information.  There was, however, a very nice cafeteria so I didn't leave without having a nice lunch.



I hope to go to the church itself in County Cavan....

Saturday - I checked out of my hotel.  My original plan was to take a bus back to the airport because it was much less expensive than a taxi.  However, I would have had to walk much too far with luggage to get the bus.  So, I opted for the more expensive taxi ride.  The good thing was it would take me directly to the rental car facility so I guess in the long run, it was worth the extra Euros!

My first minutes behind the wheel were "interesting" to say the least.  Standard shift - but using the left hand; driving from the right side of the car and on the left side of the road.  Daunting.  My best investment for this trip was a data card for my gps including Ireland and Northern Ireland.  Priceless!  I did circle around a few times attempting to get on one highway - kept missing the turnoff.  It was good practice.  Finally wound up on the M1 - a major highway.  Hertz indicated they paid tolls on the highways; apparently only "some" as I encountered a toll booth, unprepared to pay, held up traffic a bit until I got out the money - a little more stress.....   Eventually, I got on the N2 which is mostly a two-lane (one in each direction) highway with a bazillion roundabouts.  Seems a roundabout appeared every 4 or 5 miles.  Good practice downshifting and remembering to drive left through the intersection while giving way to all traffic from the right.  I have to thank a bus driver I met at the hotel for this sound advice.

Arrived at the Greenmount Lodge, tucked away on a country road.  The view is spectacular; accommodations great; free wifi; was able to call Marion and Maura using their telephone for a small fee (much less than using my own cell phone).

Went to Marion's home where I was welcomed with open arms.  Both she and her husband Terry showed me truly Irish hospitality.  Maura and Gerry arrived from Derry (met them in NYC in 2009).  Gerry drove us  to Crockanboy - the McDermott/McKeown home via the Gortin Glen Forest, passed by Rousky and Gortin churches and I was treated to a tour of the lower Sperrin mountains - with some very narrow, winding roads sporting some roller-coaster like hills.  Absolutely breathtaking scenery, somewhat marred by the areas recently burned due to dry weather (believe it or not!) and maybe arson.

Gortin Glen Forest road; note burned area


Stopped at Greencastle, St. Patrick's RC Church and graveyard.  They have the (probably) only remaining Gaelic language stations of the cross.
Irish Language Station of Cross

Hope to go back today and spend more time.  We had some rain yesterday (what else...) and so far it's bright and sunny, and very breezy this morning.  

Later today, with Marion, hope to meet Aunt Alice Bradley (ggrandmother's side of the family).

1 comment:

  1. Oh Carolyn! This is gorgeous and how fun for you. I'm so glad you arrived safely and are having so much fun with our Irish family! I was in tears when I read your post very early this morning when I was up with my son and son-in-law who were finishing putting a new engine in my car. What a beautiful view of the rolling hills. It just gives me chills to know you are there. What a blessing. I'm so thrilled for you! Keep those posts and pictures comin'!!!

    ReplyDelete