Monday, May 9, 2011

Sunday

Started the day with "an Ulster breakfast" at Greenmount.  Called Seamus Conway to see if he would be available and he was.  Drove to Formil where he lives on Crockanboy Road, not far from Greencastle Church.  Using my gps, I plotted in Gortin which I knew was in the vicinity because I couldn't find any other location; have since discovered I can put in a post code which will then provide a route.  Drove through the forest, past Gortin, past Rousky and on to Greencastle and Formil.  After a couple of stops thinking I was at Seamus' I was told to continue along the same road, beyond an intersection and the first lane on the left.
Gortin RC Church


Seamus invited me in for tea and we then went to Greencastle cemetery.  Found some McKeown family plots and took some photos.  The stone on the McDermott plot is barely readable.  Seamus had contacted Sean Bradley, another McKeown family cousin and we stopped at Sean & Kathleen's for more tea and wee sandwich.  After a delightful visit, Seamus and I headed to Rousky Cemetery where I found a couple of graves unrelated to the McKeowns (perhaps related to some fellow genies) took a couple more photos and then on Seamus for even more tea.  His sister Nuala stopped by and a niece Annette and her family (husband and three beautiful little boys) popped in.



I left there a bit after 5pm for Omagh and to collect Marion for a short ride to Mountfield to visit Aunt Alice Bradley.  Arrived to find a very spry (90+ year old) who shared some family history.  Also there to participate was Rita's daughter.  We had a lovely visit, more tea and more wee sandwiches and sweets and Marion and I drove back to Omagh and I returned to Greenmount Lodge after 9pm - it was still light out!

No comments:

Post a Comment