Thursday, May 12, 2011

...to Cavan

Drove to Cavan today in search of Morrow/Plunkett records.  Went to Cavan Genealogy Society at the library in Cavan.  While they say they have all the church records for the county, none available to the public to view.  I paid 95 euro or $142 for them to search and send me what they find for my maternal great-grandparents.  I could have ordered these from home.  Very disappointing. The banner across the building advertises the fleadh this summer - a musical event - in which Barbara McDermott's grandson Finbar will perform as he did last year.  Maybe Barbara and Lou will attend too. 

The ride to Cavan was "interesting;" using my gps I somehow found myself passing a huge (more than 24 huge windmills) wind farm. The landscape was surreal - very barren, very high and very scary road.    Steep drop in sections on - of course - my side of the very narrow road.  The speed limit is 60 mph on these very narrow, winding roads and people do the speed limit; they pass me every chance they get or I pull off to let them pass.  I pulled off at one point and took some photos.  I snapped a photo of sheep in a field across the road and before I knew they were on the road with me.  


  





Then it was back to Gortin to meet with Fr. Forbes at the church  for some family records from their registers going back to 1865.  I got stood up!  Called Fr. Forbes and he had an emergency and I will head up there this morning for another try.  It rained on and off all day.  Check out this rainbow in Greencastle, County Tyrone!     

I will be leaving County Tyrone and heading south.  Hope to get to Newgrange this afternoon and find a b&b.
This may be my last post for a while unless I can find free wifi.  My stay here at Greenmount has been pleasant and I would recommend it to anyone; the Reids are very hospitable.  They aim to please.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like an Irish rainbow! Did you find your pot of gold too? Love all the sheep and hills. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete